What is happening with us
The political leadership in Hungary in the last few years has slowly and systematically pushed back every bottom-up grassroots civil initiative. They have narrowed the open tenders, grants, and other funds, while purposely creating administrative obstacles for NGOs and other small community organizations. These new legal regulations reflect the political thinking in government which does not tolerate alternative opinions and perspectives. The new laws are written, approved, and changed without a consultation with civil and professional societies.
This is why Civil Radio is in a desperate situation today. Civil Radio is one of the last independent community radio stations still standing in Hungary.
Our creative community came together to give publicity to important social issues not discussed in the mass media and has become a bullhorn for grassroots people and community groups. In the past 20 years hundreds of volunteers sacrificed their time, energy, and efforts to keep Civil Radio on air. It is because of this volunteer spirit that we broadcast on-air even at this moment. If we go silent, it will not only be our personal loss — Hungarian democracy will lose another battle and the Hungarian people will be silenced again.
If you agree with our mission, please stand with us. Let’s do something to make a change!
Join us now if…
- you think freedom is a basic right, and that people should be able to freely speak what they think and be heard,
- you think media independence is a social value, and you don’t want to live in a world where others decide about your life,
- you think open discussion and participation are important values and you are ready do something for your neighbourhood,
- you do not want to live in a world where poor and defenseless people are living on the streets without a voice,
- you do not want to live in a world where someone is discriminated for being different or thinking differently.